When you’re feeling overwhelmed – it’s hard to get ANYTHING done … at the very least, it’s hard to make significant progress in a short amount of time.
I’ve been filming a LOT of videos over the last few weeks for one of my new programs, and one of them talks about this exact thing:
“How do I get out of Overwhelm?”
If you’re stuck in overwhelm, it really comes down to just two simple things:
- A lack of CLARITY
- A lack of PRIORITIZATION
Which one is it mostly for you?
If you don’t have the knowledge of what you need to be doing, or if you can’t make a decision on exactly what to do next … you get overwhelmed. (lack of clarity)
At the same time, if you KNOW what direction you’re going in, but EVERYTHING seems equally as important, and you’re doing “all the things” … you also feel overwhelmed. (lack of priorities)
Once you figure out which one (could be both!) it is for you, it’s actually relatively simple to shift yourself out of overwhelm, and into a state of CONFIDENCE and MOMENTUM.
Here are a couple of things that will help:
1) If you don’t have clarity, GET IT!
- Take a break, even if it feels like you can’t (because you can’t afford NOT to in the long run). It doesn’t have to be long, but you need enough space to make sure you’re moving in the right direction.
- Realign your energy – workout, meditate, calm your mind. You can’t create a solid path forward if you’re anxious or super stressed. Do what you need to do in order to get in the right STATE and frame of mind to make good quality decisions.
- Envision your future and what you want it to look like. Journal or write it down without judgment or comparison. What do you want your business to look like12 months from now? What kind of impact do you want to have with your tribe? How much money do you want to be making? etc. You know the drill- DO THE WORK. (always look inside FIRST, before seeking guidance)
- Ask for guidance – lean on your inner circle, get coaching, and talk to people you trust that have your best interests in mind. The right outside perspectives can create clarity VERY quickly. Choose your inner circle wisely.
- Make some decisions. No over-analyzing allowed. Remember NOT making a decision is also a decision. You can always course-correct later.
2) If you don’t have your priorities straight, STRAIGHTEN THEM OUT!
- Remember you can do everything you want, but you can’t do it all RIGHT NOW.
- Not everything on your to-do list has the same level of importance – there are most definitely some things more important than others.
- Do a brain dump and get everything out of your head.
- I have a series of filters that I like to teach, but in general- you have to get rid of what’s NOT important, figure out what you can automate and delegate, and then prioritize the rest.
- Then time block it on your calendar.
It’s relatively simple when you break it down. And speed is important right now.
It’s easy to get in our own way- we all do it. The key is to recognize it, and then take the actions we need faster.
I believe we are ALL the bottlenecks of our own business. We can only take our businesses as far as we personally grow. (thanks John Maxwell for teaching me that!)
I hope this helps you to gain a little insight … and if you’re feeling overwhelmed, get some direction for your next steps forward!
Make it a productive day,